5-year-old Cloe Woods of Louisiana saved her blind grandmother from a house fire on Wednesday morning. The incident began when the stove in her house caught fire.

That morning, Cloe was in bed when she heard the smoke alarm go off. In October, Cloe went on a class field trip to the Kenner Fire Department and knew exactly what to do: get out of the house.

Cloe sprang from her bed and ran to her blind grandmother’s bedroom. “She told my mom to hold her shoulder and that they had to get out of the house,” said Shone Arceneaux, Cloe’s mother. The fire occurred while Arceneaux was dropping her older children off at their carpool stop.

After making sure that her grandmother got out of the house and was well, Cloe ran to neighbors for help.

“I wanted water, to pour it,” Cloe said.

Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers thanked Cloe for paying attention during the field trip.

“She saved her grandmother’s life and saved her own life,” Hellmers said.

Jowelle M. is a college student interested in sociology, political science, and Spanish. Aside from academics, Jowelle enjoys blogging, reading, music, and spending time with family. She is happiest when she is working with others to improve the community.